Monday, October 31, 2016

Stalking Jack the Ripper Review


Hello my lovelies, today I am bringing to you a review for a book which I have held much love for. I first heard about Stalking Jack the Ripper when Ava from Bookishness and Tea created a street team. After that it was just ever growing love. 

This past week I actually hosted read along that concluded with a chat that took place yesterday. During this said read along Kerri (the author) provided us readers with some exclusive Chapter thoughts. If you wish to see those, check out my post outlining the read along HERE.

Anyhow today I will be sharing with you my thoughts and feelings towards the book, but before I do that here is a little bit about it





Title: Stalking Jack the Ripper
Author: Kerri Maniscalco
Publisher: Jimmy Paterson
Publication date: September 20th, 2016
Description:
Presented by James Patterson’s new children’s imprint, this deliciously creepy horror novel has a storyline inspired by the Ripper murders and an unexpected, blood-chilling conclusion…
Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord’s daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.
Against her stern father’s wishes and society’s expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle’s laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.
The story’s shocking twists and turns, augmented with real, sinister period photos, will make this dazzling debut from author Kerri Maniscalco impossible to forget.

Buy Links:

~Review~

There were many things I really enjoyed about Stalking Jack the Ripper, not only did we have a dazzlingly beautiful female protagonist who didn't care about social exceptions, we also had an amazing murder mystery that needed to be solve, and an undoubtedly intelligent also very beautiful male protagonist. I really enjoyed this book as a whole, as well as the individual unique aspects that made up this book.

I fell in love with Audrey Rose first, from chapter 1 all the way to chapter 30. She was a great inspiration to females all around and an amazing female protagonist that every girl should look up too. She didn't stop when people looked down upon her keen interests, and she wouldn't even stop at the expectations of her father. She held her ground throughout the whole read. I especially loved when we would have the males in this book comparing her to them, during the crime scene parts especially. Sometimes she was even better suited for the part then some of the police. Another interesting thing I would like to add is that there were points where we as readers saw her break down, it was at those parts that showed us she wasn't the be all and the end all. I also liked that she still enjoyed dressing up in the elegant gowns that are featured throughout. Overall it was a brilliant read to watch her unmask the Ripper, and equally as brilliant witnessing her peruse her set career and path.

My second favourite part about this novel was Thomas Cresswell. The boy was a bloody mastermind. I loved watching him deduct or come to conclusions as to why certain things were happening or taking place. He had an unique way of thinking so he was the prefect match up with Audrey. I enjoyed that he could banter with Audrey and make himself to be a complete ass, but I also loved that we as readers did get to witness the soft spots of Mr. Cresswell.

These two characters were one of the main selling points. Both brought on a whole new meaning to the idea of solving crime. Another thing I really did like was that there were obvious hints at romance but it wasn't anything overpowering. So many YA novels nowadays have the romance being equal to the story, when with SJTR we saw a focus on the solving crime rather then the romance.

To go along with these very awesome characters was the equally as awesome storyline. Throughout the entirety of the novel I was continuously guessing as to who Jack the Ripper was. I will say that I had assumptions as to who, and I did have a list of 2-3 people on it, but I definitely was;t in the the know until the second it was revealed. Kerri did a brilliant job at showing us readers who it was without making it so obvious. Thinking about it now, the hints dropped along the way were like little eastereggs. So she did a really great job at piecing everything together.

I have to also add that there was something new about this line of YA. As a reader I love all kinds of genres, however how often is it that we actually get to see two crime solvers have a continuous series? I mean I could just be very wrong and missing something. However I know that many adult mystery novels have reoccurring detectives, who solve multiply different murders. So I am very happy to see where Maniscalco takes us with this dynamic duo.

Overall this book should be in everyone's TBR. I had so much hosting the read along for such a beauty of a novel. From the characters, to the amazing setting, and awesome plot, this is a story to be reckoned with. I can't wait to see Audrey and Thomas's travels to Romania in books two.

Have you read Stalking Jack the Ripper? If so what were your thoughts?!?

No comments: