Friday, October 12, 2018

ARC Review


Wow, it's been forever since my last review... BUT that is okay because I am super happy to be reviewing What if it's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera. 



Title: What if it's Us 
Author: Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera
Publication Date: October 9th, 2018
Publisher: Harper Teen 
Pages: 448 pages
Format: ARC
Description: Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it.
Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things.
But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them?
Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated. 
Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited. 
But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third?
What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough? 
What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play? 

But what if it is?


When I found out that there was going to be a collaboration between Becky Albertali and Adam Silvera I freaked out. Both authors hold very dear places in my heart, so I was sure that this book would just be astounding. What if it's Us met all my expectations. This book brought humor, pop culture references, and heartbreak together in a way that felt new and original.

The story is told in a dual POV that is alternating throughout the narrative. Becky writes one chapter and Adam writes the other. I don't believe it is meant to be a secret on who wrote who as both authors have proudly talked about each of their characters. But it is clear in the text on which author wrote what. However, not in a way because one feels different, it's more if you have read Becky or Adam's books you know what kinds of characters they tend to write. The overall voice and flow of the story also stayed consistent as well.

The plot of the story was probably one of my favourite things. One of my favourite movies growing up was Serendipity and it centered on the idea of running into a person you had met before by chance, and those are the base premises for What if it's Us. Ben and Arthur walk into a post office, one is looking to mail off all past baggage from a relationship, while the other is trying to find the love of his life while in New York for an internship.  The chemistry between the two characters felt feel and never forced. Their concerns were valid and made sense to the plot line. Overall the storyline was a phenomenal one.

The story focused it's POV on Ben and Arthur however, the supporting cast of characters was equally as important. I adored Ben's best friend Dylan for a few reasons, however, my primary reasons were the easy flow of "I love you" between then two characters. I loved that readers will get to see a male friendship where the two show that they love in each other in a strictly platonic way. I don't believe it is done enough in YA however, I strongly believe it should be. ​

All in all, I would I highly recommend this book to readers who are looking for a contemporary romance on first loves, and second relationships. As well this book would be good for any previous reader of Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera. Everything about this book will satisfy you.


THIS book was AMAZING!! Have you read it? What are your thoughts on it?

No comments: