Sunday, July 23, 2017

Review~Nevernight


“The books we love, they love us back. And just as we mark our places in the pages, those pages leave their marks on us. I can see it in you, sure as I see it in me. You're a daughter of the words. A girl with a story to tell.” 




Nevernight by Jay Kristoff wasn't exactly the book I was expecting it to be. I may have been expecting a little too much from this book, but my read wasn't to my liking. My fall out was with the stories, however I did fall in love with some of the main characters. As well the story did have a sense of originality to it, or at least a new aspect in a book I had never really read before.

The story was original-- which was what I was anticipating. However the actual storytelling part fell through for me. It took me a surprisingly long time to get adjusted to Kristoffs writing style and even more time to connect with the characters. The world building was there and he ensured his reader's understood this fantasy world; He put little footnotes about certain aspects pertaining to the characters and or history at the bottom of the pages. These were helpful at times, but I sometimes found that they interrupted my connection to the flow of the story. The footnotes had a different voice than the teller of the story. 

Though I got sidetracked a lot with the story and figuring the details, I did fall in love with the characters. My connection to the story may have gotten lost along the way, however with the characters it continued to grow. We had these characters who had intended goals and would stop at nothing until these set goals were achieved. Throughout the story we are witnesses to countless cruel events, events that showed just how gruesome each apprenticed assassin could be. I loved that the story showed the reality of these characters and didn't play them off as anything they weren't.  I especially loved our main character Mia. She was about the only thing in this book I was sure about and about the only thing in this book I absolutely loved. She had many depths to her, and many undiscovered secrets. Though I wish we could've learn a bit more about her, I guess that'll be up to the second book to show us.

Overall, I would give this book a rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars. This book may not have been a favourite, but I can understand it's appeal to people. Its' story had originality with a few hiccups regarding the flow but they are details some may not notice at all. I can also fully respect the love of this novel and why everyone fell in love with it. I will be reading the second, and looking forward to seeing how this book series develops.







Title: Nevernight {The Nevernight Chronicle #1}
Author: Jay Kristoff
Publication date: August 9th, 2016
Publisher: Thomas Dunn Books
Pages: 429 pages
Format: Hardcover
Description: 
In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family. 
Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined. 

Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves. 


Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge?



No comments: